Date of Award
Doctor of Philosophy
Material Science and Engineering
Jean J. Favier
Eric D. Smith
This research effort develops an integrated system for CO2 removal and O2 production. A unique material, dodeca-tungsto-phosphoric acid (H3PO4W12O3; henceforth referred to as DTPA) is mixed with tetra-ethyl-ortho-silicate Si(OC2H5)4 or TEOS. This mixture exhibits unique properties of heat absorption and high electrical conductivity. In the system described herein, the DTPA resides within a cross linked arrangement of TEOS. The DTPA furnishes a source of O2, while the TEOS furnishes structural support for the large DTPA crystals. In addition, the large amount of H2O within the crystal also adsorbs CO2. It can also be cross-linked with other polymers such as polycarbonate, for different applications and properties such as flexible textiles. A set of isolated bench experiments were designed to test CO2 adsorption, O2 production, heat production, and voltage production were conducted to test the hypoThesis that DTPA can provide CO2 adsorption, O2 generation, heat generation and electrical generation. Five experiments with this apparatus were conducted: (1) a mass balance experiment; (2) an X-ray diffraction experiment; (3) a photo spectroscopic experiment; (4) a calorimetric experiment; and (5) a dielectric experiment. Results illustrate that approximately 2880 grams of this material produces 576 grams of O2, and removes 1760 grams of CO2. The reaction also produces approximately 844 kJ/mole heat, and can supply 12.2 V potential over a period of 4.5 hours. The amount of unused material and the recycling ability suggests the usefulness of the technique to achieve between a 50-75% closed system. In addition, an experiment using 18O tracer demonstrated that approximately 20% of the O2 produced comes from processed CO2 adsorbed by the crystal, while the remaining 80% of the O2 produced comes from replaced O2 within the crystal itself. The device has multiple applications including environmental control and life support for aircraft cabins, space vehicle interiors, submarine pressure vessels, sealed armored vehicles, and personal protective equipment for individuals working in confined spaces such as mines.
Received from ProQuest
Angelo Peter Karavolos
Karavolos, Angelo Peter, "Implementation Of New System For Oxygen Generation And Carbon Dioxide Removal" (2016). Open Access Theses & Dissertations. 472.